As you put together your weight loss plan, we have some good news for you: You don’t have to do everything exactly like your friend or neighbor who recently lose weight. You can tailor your program to suit your needs and preferences, which is a good thing because we stick with programs that are convenient for us.
With regard to exercise, you’ll be happy to learn that you can choose from a wide variety of options. There isn’t just one way to burn calories and support your weight loss plan. If you enjoy gym workouts, you can attend classes, hop on a machine, or simply head to the weight room. But if you’d rather exercise at home, for whatever reason, we can still design a program around home workouts that will help you meet your goals.
Can’t decide? Check out some of the pros and cons of each option.
Home workout pros:
- Flexibility (work out when you want to)
- No driving or dealing with traffic
- Low cost (although not free, because you might purchase some equipment or enroll in a virtual coaching service)
Home workout cons:
- Fewer options (unless you can purchase a complete home gym… But then you lose the low cost benefit)
- No camaraderie
- Less accountability (no one will see if you quit mid-workout and decide to lounge on the couch instead)
- If you don’t pay a membership, you might not feel motivated
- Options galore! Classes for just about every workout style and level
- Professional grade equipment
- Social support
- Motivation (paying for a membership makes some people more likely to use it)
- Structure and accountability; you’re less likely to quit and flop onto a couch!
- Lack of privacy; some people feel “on display” at the gym
- Limited hours
As you can see, there are an approximately equal number of pros and cons for both home and gym workouts. So what’s best for you? The answer is simple: Whatever you will use, consistently, is the better option. That’s because the best workout is the one you enjoy and stick with over time. And of course, a combination of both options might suit some people best. That way you can engage in a variety of workout styles depending upon what suits your mood and schedule each day.
For more advice on building a workout routine to support your weight loss plan, give us a call. We can meet with you to discuss your goals, your workout regimen, and an eating plan to help you succeed.