You’ve probably noticed that the news never can make up its mind about foods and drinks. One day the experts are touting the health benefits of something, and then the next day someone else is saying the complete opposite!
So for coffee lovers, the back-and-forth can provoke a bit of anxiety (or is that just the caffeine talking?) If you’re wondering about the benefits and drawbacks, we can provide some answers.
The “pros” of coffee.
Coffee is one of the most studied food products, and generally speaking it is considered safe in moderate amounts. We know that coffee:
- Can give us energy
- Contains powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties
- Can potentially reduce the risk of certain cancers, cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes and Parkinson’s disease
- Help some people with minor reflux first thing in the morning
The “cons” of coffee.
On the other hand, some people do experience drawbacks from coffee (or caffeine in general). These include:
- Worsening acid reflux in some people
- Mild dehydrating effects (mostly if you drink too much coffee)
- Headaches, irritability, or digestive effects (in people who are sensitive to caffeine)
- Insomnia (if you drink caffeine within six hours or so of bedtime)
- Added calories, if you include sugar or cream in your coffee
As you can tell, the effects of coffee can vary from one person to another. If you enjoy coffee and you haven’t noticed any of the above drawbacks, it’s probably fine to continue drinking it in moderation. If you have any other questions about a healthy diet or an anti-aging lifestyle, call us to discus your concerns.