As you’re putting together a weight loss plan, nutrition won’t be your only challenge. You also need to exercise, and for some people that’s an entirely new frontier. What types of activities do you need to do, how long do you do them, how often do you do them, and how much should you challenge yourself? These are just some of the question you’re probably asking yourself.
It can be easy to become overwhelmed by all of the options available, and to feel like you have to do everything in order to be successful. Luckily, that isn’t true. But you do need a structured exercise plan, in order to stay accountable and on track toward your goals.
These ten steps can help you put together an exercise plan that is effective, but also fun and not overwhelming, so that you aren’t tempted to quit.
- Adopt the right mindset. Remember that you’re looking for gradual changes in your body. You won’t see results overnight, but over time you will both see and feel a difference.
- Start with walking. It’s a great full-body workout and doesn’t require any special equipment (other than shoes).
- Set new goals weekly. Remember the saying, “Rome wasn’t built in a day”. Continue to set small, attainable goals each week, such as adding a few minutes to your walking time.
- Don’t worry too much about calorie burn. It’s okay to use an app to estimate calorie burn if you find that motivating, but the numbers aren’t set in stone. Mostly you should focus on gradually increasing the length and difficulty of your workouts.
- Set a long term goal. What are you hoping to accomplish in six months?
- Change up your workouts over time. Add new elements or try new activities to prevent boredom. Even just walking in a different place will feel rejuvenating.
- Schedule your workouts. Treat them with the same seriousness you place on other commitments.
- Try interval training, adding bursts of speed to walks. Or, try jogging for a minute at a time once you feel capable.
- Incorporate weight training to build muscle and increase round-the-clock metabolism.
- Find ways to make your workouts fun. Music, a friend, new activities, and more can make workouts enjoyable.
If you need help putting together a workout plan, give us a call. We can help you decide which activities are safe for your level of health, and will help you meet your weight loss and fitness goals.